Medical Error Attorneys Serving all of St. Louis
When you go to a hospital or seek treatment from a physician, you assume that you will receive the best care possible. While this is true the majority of the time, there are instances where appalling errors occur that have no place in the medical industry. These gruesome, disturbing errors are some of the most notorious in medical history – and they serve as an example to other physicians, and even patients, of the possibility of errors from even the best surgeons and care professionals in the world.
If you have been injured because of a physician’s carelessness, contact a medical malpractice attorney immediately.
The Most Unnerving Medical Errors in History
Honest mistakes do happen in the medical industry – and these are not the same as neglectful errors. These errors serve as examples, but also have helped medical facilities around the world instill stricter practices to improve patient care and reduce the likelihood that these errors will occur again. Some of the errors that have occurred in medical history that warranted a malpractice claim include:
- Man remains conscious and feels pain during surgery. A 73-year old man admitted for abdominal pain remained conscious and felt pain during his surgery – but was unable to notify the physicians. The forgetfulness of the anesthesiologist led to the wrong anesthetic being administered – so the patient was paralyzed, but could still feel all pain, discomfort, and pressure.
- Ketchup packets and paper towels found inside a patient. This is a disconcerting case involving a 36-year old man who was suffering from a traumatic brain injury. He died because unopened ketchup packets and paper towels were found inside of his stomach. The assisted living facility where he resided was blamed (and sued) for its negligence.
- Tools left inside a Washington medical center patient. Surgical tools being left inside of a patient are a common surgical error seen around the world. In this case, the 13-inch metal retractor was left in place following a tumor removal.
- The wrong leg being amputated. Wrong-site surgeries are nothing unfamiliar to the medical industry. In this case, physicians at the University Community Hospital in Tampa, Florida removed the wrong leg of a 52-year old man. It wasn’t until during the procedure that surgeons realized that they were amputating the wrong leg; by then, it was too late.
- Misdiagnosed cancer and serious surgery. A woman had a large lump discovered in her jaw. It was decided by her physicians that she had cancer and only three to six months to live. In order to extend her life, she agreed to a procedure that would remove the left side of her chin. After doing so, it was discovered that she didn’t actually have cancer – and she was left disfigured for nothing.
- Fertility clinic administers wrong sperm. In this case, a woman was impregnated by the sperm of a stranger, instead of the sperm that her husband had provided to the fertility clinic. She did not realize the error until the baby was born, and DNA tests confirmed that the child was not his.
Carey, Danis & Lowe – Your Advocates When Medical Errors Occur
If you or a loved one has been injured because of an error on a physician or health care professional’s part, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact the medical malpractice attorneys at Carey, Danis & Lowe Attorneys at Law today. We offer free consultations and case evaluations. Schedule yours by calling 877-678-3400, or request a consultation online.