For motorists traveling on a highway, one of the worst things that can happen is to be involved in a trucking accident with a semi. In many cases the accident is the fault of the truck driver or trucking company responsible for the maintenance of the vehicle, but there are certain things motorists sometimes do following an accident that will jeopardize their ability to get the financial compensation they deserve. The following is a list of activities that motorists should never do if they are involved in a trucking accident:
- Never use apologetic words. Verdicts and settlements can be compromised by simply saying the word “sorry” in front of witnesses or the other driver because it can be interpreted as an admission of fault or guilt, regardless of the other circumstances of the crash.
- Never apologize, regardless of how you feel. Even if you believe the accident was partly your fault, apologizing may imply that you could have prevented the accident and the other party may be entirely relieved of responsibility, even if you both share fault.
- Do not discuss the accident with witnesses or the other driver. Things you say may be interpreted in a way that could damage your ability to receive financial compensation.
- Do not speak with the insurance representative for the truck driver or trucking company. Refer them to your attorney and nothing more, because they will use anything you say against you.
- Never sign anything from the insurance representative for the truck driver or trucking company unless you’ve discussed it with your lawyer first.
- Do not refuse medical attention. Immediately after an accident, adrenaline can mask injuries you don’t even realize you have. Furthermore, refusing medical attention can indicate to a jury that if you weren’t hurt enough to need medical attention then you aren’t hurt enough to be entitled to compensation.
Unfortunately, many trucking accident victims are entitled to compensation but do not receive it because they made one of the six mistakes listed here. However, if you follow these tips and contact a trucking accident attorney immediately, there is a good chance you will receive the compensation you deserve.