Losing a loved one in a trucking accident is a traumatizing and stressful event. It can be difficult to think clearly until the shock of your loss has had time to subside. However, it’s important that if a loved one is killed or traumatically injured in an accident involving a semi, you call a trucking accident attorney as soon as possible.
Immediately calling in a qualified trucking accident attorney will allow that lawyer to coordinate with emergency response personnel and law enforcement to identify and collect vital evidence and interview witnesses. You can be sure that the trucking company has its own team of lawyers investigating the accident, so it is critical that you have a professional on your side to ensure a fair investigation and, if necessary, litigation process.
If a loved one is critically or fatally injured in a trucking accident you should:
- Contact an attorney who specializes in trucking accidents, trucking laws, and trucking regulations.
- Have someone take photographs of the crash site and any vehicles that were involved, if possible.
- Never make a statement to the other party, or their insurer, or sign anything.
- Never dispose of or sell the vehicle until your lawyer tells you it is safe to do so.
In addition to the actions above, if you or a loved one is injured in a semi crash:
- Do not refuse medical attention.
- Do not admit fault.
- Do not leave the accident scene.
Because trucking companies have their own team of lawyers who specialize in this type of accident, it is very important that innocent victims of trucking accidents do not rely on an attorney who does not specialize in semi accident litigation. If a loved one is killed in a collision with a large truck, it is up to you and your attorney to ensure their rights are protected and the truck driver or company is held responsible for compensation and/or damages.