New Yaz Class Action Being Considered in Australia

By September 2, 2013July 17th, 2019Uncategorized

Two women are considering filing a new class action lawsuit against Bayer over the blood clots they say they suffered due to taking the company’s Yaz birth control pills. They are the latest women who have contacted a law firm in Adelaide, Australia; as many as 230 women from all over the country already have contacted the same firm over lawsuits.

Amanda Saul had been taking Yaz for over two years when she was found to have a blood clot in her lungs in 2010. She also states that the pill had greatly exacerbated her other health problems.

“I had one (blood clot) close to my heart and I had one in my lung that had blocked off an entire section and was turning gangrenous,” Saul said. “They told me I was most likely 24 to 48 hours away from a massive stroke or heart attack at 25 years old.”

Yasmin was introduced to the Australian market in 2002, and since then about 200,000 women are believed to be taking either Yaz or Yasmin. The cause of all of these injuries has been linked to the pills’ main active ingredient, drospirenone, a synthetic progestin. The fourth-generation pills have been the subject of so many lawsuits that Bayer has paid out $1.4 billion in American settlements already. Bayer has continued to sell Yaz all over the world and is even offering the drug in patch form in Europe. The company has not admitted to Yaz dangers yet, but the numerous studies that have been linking the pills to such dangers cannot be overlooked.

More settlements are expected as the lawsuits continue to pile up against Bayer. In fact, the company is expected to lose $2 billion or more before these lawsuits are put to rest.

Leave a Reply