Skip to main content

Galveston Woman Files Yaz Lawsuit

By April 6, 2011July 10th, 2019Uncategorized

A woman in Galveston, Texas, Lana Speck, has filed a lawsuit against the makers of the popular and controversial birth control pill Yaz. Her lawsuit was filed amid claims that the pill gave her abdominal problems.

Speck is claiming that Bayer knowingly hid the dangerous side effects of the pills from the public. She filed her lawsuit on January 31 of this year. Speck also claims that she has been taking Yaz from 2001-2008 as a way of regulating her menstrual cycle (which is considered an off-label use of the drug). With her gynecologist’s supervision, Speck says she followed the instructions to the letter.

The woman started experiencing stomach pains in 2006 and ended up having to have a cholecystectomy. Speck’s original petition to the court stated, “After her gallbladder was removed, the plaintiff was in constant severe chest and upper abdominal pain as a result of her removed gallbladder. In addition, the plaintiff suffered continuous issues with her digestion that caused extreme diarrhea, indigestion, and crippling abdominal pain.” Speck claims that her doctors also found gallstones which is a side effect of using Yaz or Yasmin. She says that she continues to suffer from post-cholecystectomy syndrome.

Recently, Bayer has been forced to change the way it advertises Yaz and Yasmin. The manufacturer has stopped running any advertisements that claim the pills can help with symptoms of PMS and clearing up acne. Yaz has been found to cause various other health problems such as heart attacks, pulmonary embolism, gallbladder disease, blood clots and deep vein thrombosis. Many lawsuits have been filed against Bayer amid claims that they knowingly downplayed the drug’s adverse side effects and health dangers.

There is still time to file a Yaz/Yasmin lawsuit if you have suffered from any of the side effects. You may be able to receive money for your suffering. Thousands of plaintiffs have filed their Yaz lawsuits, so contact an attorney today.